In August 2018, raSmith acquired Matsen Ford Design Associates, a pioneer in cold-formed steel engineering, and retained their staff of 11 engineers and technicians to join our existing cold-formed group. raSmith has a niche expertise in cold-formed steel engineering and provides services to architects, builders and general contractors on projects throughout the United States.
All Matsen Ford staff, including former Matsen Ford president Pat Ford, are now members of the raSmith team and are located in our Brookfield, Wis. office. Matsen Ford was a pioneer in cold-formed steel engineering and leveraged its vast structural engineering expertise into a growing building design practice. Since 1987 Matsen Ford worked on projects nationwide in conventional structural system design, cold-formed steel framing design and finish systems design.
With the Matsen Ford acquisition, raSmith now has one of the largest cold-formed steel engineering groups in the country, complementing our overall structural engineering practice comprised of a total of 33 talented individuals. Our diverse expertise and national experience enables us to continue expanding our geographic reach into new markets.
raSmith’s applications of cold-formed (also called light gauge) structural engineering include residential, sports, retail, educational and hospitality facilities. Our competitive pricing and proven track record for responsiveness are recognized by our clients nationwide.
Why Use raSmith as Your Cold-Formed Specialty Engineer?
raSmith saves you time and money, simplifies installation and reduces gauges for your project.
- Lump-sum, competitive pricing for easy budgeting.
- Free preliminary member sizing to facilitate your bid estimates.
- 2 to 3 week turnaround on most projects – please call us for current lead times.
- Immediate response when you need answers during design and construction.
- Design solutions adjusted to accommodate your preferences on each project.
- Full-size shop drawings include, but are not limited to:
- Key plan of building showing grids, elevations and section cuts.
- Full-height wall sections showing member sizes and connections.
- On-call engineering support throughout design and construction until the project is complete.
- No welding.
- As an independent cold-formed engineer (versus a supplier specifying their own product) our services save you money.
- High quality, well-detailed and installer-friendly shop drawings.
- Proprietary connector requirements are minimized.
- Gauges shown on contract drawings are reduced whenever possible to save you money.
- One- OR two-piece headers typically provided as alternates – no more 4-piece boxed headers.
- One-piece jambs as alternate to built-up members.
- Extensive experience with all buildings types including both non-load bearing and multi-story load bearing buildings (i.e. hotels, dorms, etc.).
- Licensed and extensive experience on projects throughout the United States.
Multi-story load bearing
Exterior curtain wall framing
Pre-fabricated wall panel design
Raised platform framing
Exterior façade renovations