Below are a few great websites to check out for more information.
- Visit the Wisconsin DNR’s Wetlands web page and explore the “Locating Wetlands” section.
- Explore the WDNR Surface Water Data Viewer. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/surfacewater/swdv/
Pay particular attention to wetlands less than two acres, wetland indicator soils and inventoried wetlands, as these features could impact how you develop your site.
- If you believe there may be wetlands on your property, have a wetland professional visit the site to determine if wetlands are present. Wetland determinations and delineations completed by WDNR Assured Delineators are pre-approved by the WDNR, due to the delineator’s high level of education, experience and proven quality. Read my blog for more information.
Avoid Delays, Mitigate Risk by Hiring a Wisconsin DNR Assured Wetland Delineator
- Check with local agencies (county/town/municipality) for specific zoning requirements such as shoreland zoning, ecologically sensitive areas and other setbacks. Learn more about WDNRs regulations. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ShorelandZoning/
- Include a Real Estate Addendum with your real estate offer. This allows the buyer to verify the presence of wetlands and to negotiate the offer if wetlands are found on the property. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wetlands/addendum.html
If you would like more information about raSmith’s ecological services or are in need of wetland delineation services, please contact me in our Madison, Wis. office at (608) 421-5317 or email@example.com.
About the Author
Theran Stautz is an ecologist and project manager in raSmith’s Madison, Wis., office. An Assured Wetland Delineator with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Theran’s experience includes wetland determinations, delineations, identification of specific vegetation community boundaries, native habitat restoration, invasive species management and prescribed burn activities.