R.A. Smith National, Inc. is a leading consulting engineering firm, providing multi-disciplinary services to government and the land development industry. Our offices are located in Brookfield (corporate offices, Milwaukee) and Appleton, Wis., Orange County (Los Angeles), Calif. and Tarentum (Pittsburgh), Pa.
Our firm is dedicated to finding quality candidates at all levels in all areas. We provide unlimited potential for everyone in the company and offer a generous compensation and benefit package. Career opportunities are available in a broad range of areas including land development engineering, municipal engineering, highway design, structural design, surveying, construction services, ecological services, landscape architecture, water resource engineering, geographic information systems (GIS), visualization and 3D laser scanning.
R.A. Smith National has received numerous awards, including those for innovative projects as well as local and national recognition as a top employer.
R.A. Smith National has the following openings available:
Civil Engineer I
R. A. Smith National has openings for entry level civil engineers in our Transportation Services Division. Candidates selected for these positions will have obtained a four year degree in civil engineering and will have a demonstrated interest in the area of transportation. CE I’s will do engineering studies, report writing and will have basic knowledge of hydrology, earthwork, and grading. Knowledge of AutoCAD and Civil 3D along with strong communication and people skills are also required.
R.A. Smith National offers its employees a robust benefit package which includes: A competitive salary; medical, dental, vision, life, disability, legal and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality and a tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do.
Candidates for this position should respond to this posting or forward resumes to:
R.A. Smith National is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
R.A. Smith is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and diversity of its workforce.
Survey Party Chief
R.A. Smith National, Inc. is a leading consulting engineering firm providing multi-disciplinary services to government and the land development industry nationwide. R.A. Smith National’s corporate headquarters are located in Brookfield, Wisconsin with offices in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Irvine, California; and Appleton, Wisconsin. At R.A. Smith National we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative design.
The Pittsburgh office has an opening for a Survey Party Chief who will be responsible for planning, organizing, and surveying land surfaces to determine precise location and measurements of points, elevations, lines, areas, and contours for construction projects, mapmaking, land division, titles or other purposes. Additional responsibilities include performing calculations and preparing reports in support of all survey activities. Individuals selected for this position will be highly motivated and self-starters with 3 to 5 years of experience as a Party Chief. They will also be proficient operating Trimble software and GPS equipment. A working knowledge of Civil3D is a plus, along with the ability to use other survey software.
Candidates interested in applying for these positions should forward their resumes to email@example.com and visit our website at www.rasmithnational.com for additional information. R. A. Smith National is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and diversity of its workforce.
Site Design Project Manager – Pittsburgh, PA
At R.A. Smith National, Inc., we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative design.
R. A. Smith National is seeking a Site Design Project Manager in our Pittsburgh office to help our clients create success. We are seeking a candidate who:
- Is responsible for maintaining a satisfied client base that results in return business activity
- Develops new clients and projects
- Cross sells company services when possible
- Represents the company at meetings and conferences to resolve important issues and coordinate work
- Prepares client proposals and contracts
- Plans projects to meet goals, fees, schedule, budget and staffing needs
- Reviews schedules, deadlines and budgets to keep projects on track
- Coordinates work, contracts, schedules and budgets with sub-consultants and other departments within the company
- Performs complex assignments requiring development of new and/or improved techniques and procedures
- Responsible for project compliance with state and local codes, laws, ordinance and agency requirements
- Supervises, coordinates and reviews the work of engineers and technicians assigned to projects
- Responsible for identifying and providing professional development and technical training for staff
- Applies diversified knowledge and engineering principles and practices to a broad variety of assignments and related fields
- Utilizes technical skills in balancing sites, designing utilities and addressing stormwater management challenges
- Is able to adapt designs to changing circumstances and maintain schedules and budgets
- Possesses strong communication and people skills
- Enjoys the challenge of building new business through successful client and project management
- Is proficient with AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Must have a BSCE degree
- Must have a PE registration in Pennsylvania (additional registrations in other states are preferred)
- 6 plus years of experience as a designer in site engineering
- Knowledge of hydrology and earthwork principles
Find out more about this opportunity to work in a rewarding team environment to plan, develop, coordinate and direct large and small engineering projects.
Candidates for this position should forward their resume by responding to this posting or by forwarding your resume to: Darline.firstname.lastname@example.org.
R.A. Smith National is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and diversity of its workforce.
Site Design Project Manager—Land Development Services –Brookfield, WI
R. A. Smith National has an opening available for a site design Project Engineer/Project Manager in our Land Development Services Division – Brookfield, Wisconsin. Candidates for the position must have previous experience in site development, utilities, grading, drainage, storm water management design and permitting.
The qualified candidate for this position will have five plus years’ experience in site development and proficiency with AutoCAD (Civil 3D preferred) in addition to the following:
- Strong organization skills
- The ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- The ability to work both independently and closely with/under the direction of the Director of Land Development Services and other Project Managers
- The ability to manage clients effectively, ensuring their satisfaction and encouraging repeat business
- The ability to represent the firm at meetings and conferences for purposes of project management and new and existing client development
- The ability to market to clients, bring new clients and projects to the firm and provide a client referral list
- The ability to make adaptations and modifications of standard techniques, procedures and criteria
- The ability to devise solutions to problems
- The ability to deliver projects on time and within budget
- The ability to plan, develop, coordinate and direct large engineering projects in addition to smaller projects
- The ability to work collaboratively with senior technicians and provide direction as needed
- The ability to review invoices and prepare monthly project billings
- The ability to make decisions regarding overruns and write offs
- BSCE degree
- Thorough understanding of AutoCAD (Civil 3D preferred)
- PE License
- 5 plus years’ experience as a site designer
Send resume to email@example.com, fax to 262-317-1314 or mail to:
R.A. Smith National, Inc.
Attn: Human Resources
16745 W. Bluemound Road
Brookfield, WI 53005
R.A. Smith National offers the following benefits to all full-time employees. Part-time employees are eligible for partial benefits.
Paid Major Holidays
Paid Time Off
Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
401K Plan - generous employer match
Employee Property Survey
Advanced Education Reimbursement
Direct Deposit Payroll
Pleasant, Professional Working Environment
R.A. Smith National is always looking for talented individuals to join our team of professionals. We are a forward-thinking company that embraces new opportunities to expand our business and better serve our clients. If you are interested in joining our team, please feel free to submit your resume and qualifications related to any of the areas listed below:
- land development engineering
- municipal engineering
- highway design
- traffic engineering
- structural design
- construction services
- ecological services
- landscape architecture/irrigation
- water resource engineering
- geographic information systems (GIS)
- 3D laser scanning
E-mail or mail your resume detailing your qualifications and work history to:
R.A. Smith National
Attn: Darline Hoffins, Human Resources Director
16745 W. Bluemound Rd.
Brookfield, WI 53005-5938
[ Download an Employment Application ]